|The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, 4th Edition
by James Trefil and Robert M. Hazen
Table of Contents: Chapter Titles
1. Science: A Way of Knowing: How do you know what you know?
2. The Ordered Universe: Why do planets appear to wander slowly across the sky?
3. Energy: Why must animals eat to stay alive?
4. Heat and the Second Law of Thermodynamics: How do humans control their body
5. Electricity and Magnetism: What is lightning?
6. Waves and Electromagnetic Radiation: Why do we see in color?
7. Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity: Can a human ever travel faster than the
speed of light, at "Warp Speed"?
8. The Atom: Why?
9. Quantum Mechanics: How can the electron behave like both a particle and a wave?
10. Atoms in Combination: The Chemical Bond: How does blood clot?
11. Properties of Materials: How have computers gotten so much faster?
12. The Nucleus of the Atom: How do scientists determine the age of the oldest human
13. The Ultimate Structure of Matter: How can antimatter be used to probe the human brain?
14. The Stars: How much longer can the Sun sustain life on Earth?
15. Cosmology: Will the universe ever end?
16. The Earth and Other Planets: Is Earth the only planet with life?
17. Plate Tectonics: Can we perdict destructive earthquakes?
18. Cycles of the Earth: Will we ever run out of fresh water?
19. Ecology, Ecosystems and the Environment: Are human activities affecting the global
20. Strategies of Life: What is Life?
21. Molecules of Life: What constitutes a healthy diet?
22. The Living Cell: What is the smallest living thing?
23. Classical and Modern Genetics: Why do offspring resemble their parents?
24. The New Science of Life: Can we cure cancer?
25. Evolution: How did life arise?
Appendix A: Human Anatomy.
Appendix B: Units and Numbers.
Appendix C: The Geological Time Scale.
Appendix D: Selected Physical Constants and Astronomical Data.
Appendix E: Properties of the Planets.
Appendix F: The Chemical Elements.